Monday, September 28, 2009

Grocery Shopping


You know what is no fun? Grocery shopping with kids in tow. This is a major, and I mean major, undertaking. The whole event takes literally hours. Now, I have 3 children. I have been doing this parent thing for 7 years now. While I have my moments of panic and insecurity, I think that for the most part, I am getting it down to a science. I tell you though, the events described are enough to shake the confidence of even the most self-assured parent. It goes a little something like this.

25 minutes to dress myself (if you call brushing my teeth and throwing on sweats dressing) and the 2 little ones. The older one is on her own (This does not count sock and shoe finding and wrestling time).
5 minutes for potty.
10 minutes to lay down the rules for shopping, repeat them three times, then have everyone ask what the rules were again.
10 minutes to find shoes and socks.
10 minutes to get them on.
5 minutes for potty again.
5 minutes to gather purse, keys, and the bag that I refuse to call a diaper bag that I am currently carrying (that has diapers, wipes, and clothes for the baby in it-just in case we have an accident!It is NOT a diaper bag- stop saying that!)
10 minutes to find and put back on the shoes that came off while I was getting my stuff together. 10 minutes to load them up, strap them all in, and get out of the driveway.
ARE WE THERE YET????
I HAVE TO GO POTTY!!!
5 minutes to unstrap and remove everyone.
5 minutes to go to potty.
68 minutes of actual shopping time. This does include the trips back down 3 aisles I already visited, but I forgot stuff because I was trying to keep the kids from fighting and of course, putting the baby's shoes on again.
10 minutes of cries of "can I get ___________??????"
10 minutes to check-out.
15 minutes to load everyone back up in their seats, strap them in and get all the groceries into the car.
Yes folks, if you are keeping tabs we are indeed at over 3 hours! And the answer is no, I have not unloaded or put away anything yet!
10 minutes to drive home.
5 minutes to get the darn DVD player to work so I can occupy the kids while I am putting stuff away.
And last, but of course not least, 15 minutes to actually put away all of the groceries and rid myself of various bags, boxes, containers, etc.

By this point I need not merely a nap, but I think perhaps a hospital bed.

3 comments:

Willis Family said...

I only have two kids, but I think that grocery shopping with kids should be considered an olympic event.....with a big damn trophy or something....or a cash prize...no,no, a vacation!!!!!

Mike and Julina said...

HOLY COW! Us moms should get paid. Maybe do your coop babysitting thing when you need to go grocery shopping. You wouldn't know what to do with yourself if you could go shopping alone.
Love the hospital bed comment! LOL

Mr. and Mrs. Smith said...

Have I mentioned I HATE grocery shopping???? It doesn't sound like you hit Winco because if so you left out..load all the crap from the cart on the conveyor belt, then into a bag, then the bags into the cart then the bags into the car then the bags into the house and THEN putting all the stuff away! Sheesh! I am tired just from writing all that!