Tuesday, April 14, 2009

What you wish you never knew...

For the past couple of days, I’ve been wondering how in the world the whole Easter bunny concept came to be and what the heck do eggs have to do with a rabbit! It’s pretty amazing that no one ever seems to question the association of an oversized rodent who hides plastic eggs with the resurrection of Jesus. I am almost 30 years old and have never once thought to figure out if there’s even a remote connection! What I found out is that apparently, rabbits and eggs are both symbols of fertility and new life, which is supposed to be what Spring is all about, right? I get it up to this point, then they lose me... Well, supposedly, back in the 1700s, it was believed that a certain rabbit spirit known as “Oschter Haws” would come to the homes of well-behaved children and plop out a nest of brightly colored eggs.(When did rabbits start laying eggs?) Kids would actually go around their homes and yards and set up nests for this pregnant bunny to give birth to these coveted eggs. Seriously? It really all goes back to an egg-laying bunny who only went into labor in the homes of good girls and boys? Maybe it’s just me, but I find this a bit disturbing. So, you mean to tell me that we stain our hands dyeing hard-boiled eggs,
dress up our kids and send them out into the cold to find plastic ovals in every possible crevice of our backyards,
spend oodles of money on a bunch of sugar-laced, cavity-inducing crap, all in the name of a horny hare who’s ready to pop?
I almost wish I wouldn’t have Googled the history of this crazy holiday tradition, because in this case, I really think ignorance is bliss. It is just plain odd! We’ll just go on pretending like it’s all cute and innocent fun to find all the abandoned after-birth of some overgrown long-eared animal hopping about my back yard.


Happy Easter everyone!

1 comment:

Mike and Julina said...

I love this post! You are so right but like you I will continue to just think of it as cute and keep doing it.