Saturday, December 6, 2008

My favorite Christmas Poem


Every year at home, my Dad recites this poem for us, I love to hear him tell this funny poem, and am amazed he tells it from heart

On the night before Christmas, it's still in the house
My family is sleeping, so I'm quiet like a mouse
I look at my watch, and midnight is near...
I tink I'll sneak out for a cold glass o' beer.
Down at the corner, the crowd is so merry
I end up by drinking about twelve Tom 'n' Jerry
I get to bed late and, gee whiz, how I'm sleeping
When, on to my bed, those darn kids they come leaping
They sit on my face and they jump on my belly
And I'm shiverin' all over like a bowl full of jelly
They scream, "Merry Christmas!" My poor wife and me
We stumble downstairs and she lights up the tree
My head is exploding; my mouth tastes like a pickle
I step on a skate and fall on a tricycle
Just before Christmas dinner, I relax to a point
Then relatives start swarming all over tha joint
On Christmas, I hug and I kiss my wife's mother
The rest of the year, we don't speak to each other
After dinner, my aunt and my wife's Uncle Louie
Get into an argument; they're both awful screwy
Then all my wife's family say Louie is right
And my goofy relations, they join in the fight
Back in the corner, the radio's playing
And, over the racket, Gabriel Hader is saying,
"Peace on Earth, everybody, and goodwill toward men"
And, just at that moment, somevone slugs Uncle Ben
They all run outside whooping so the neighbors'll hear...
Oh, I'm so glad Merry Christmas comes just once a year!

2 comments:

Willis Family said...

What a wonderful, holiday poem! So festive!!

Mike and Julina said...

I love it. Sounds like something my dad would say